Posted On: March 9, 2021
Media Organization: Coalition For Property Tax Justice
Founded in 2017, The Coalition for Property Tax Justice is a collective of several long-standing Detroit grassroots organizations formed to accomplish three goals:
1. Stop unconstitutional property tax assessments.
2. Compensate Detroit residents who overpaid or have already lost their homes because of illegally inflated property taxes.
3. Suspend pending property tax foreclosures until it is confirmed that the delinquent taxpayers were not unconstitutionally assessed.
Since the Coalition’s inception, we have accomplished an impressive amount. From starting an unprecedented Dignity Restoration Housing Program to shaping the settlement of a groundbreaking lawsuit and solidifying the wins in a City ordinance, Coalition member organizations have not stopped fighting for the rights of Detroit’s working families.
The Coalition For Property Tax Justice is seeking applicants to assist with communications and social media related to the tax foreclosure crisis. The Coalition’s work focuses on the following problem:
From 2011-2015, 1 in 4 Detroit homes have been subject to property tax foreclosure. We have not seen this number of property tax foreclosures since the Great Depression. More troubling, a recent study found that over this period the City assessed between 55%-85% of Detroit homes at rates that violated the Michigan Constitution, placing the unprecedented number of property tax foreclosures in disrepute. For more information, read this op-ed in the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/opinion/coronavirus-cities-property-taxes.html
The Coalition for Property Tax Justice is looking for a communications expert to work with us for 10-15 hours a week to complete the following tasks:
1. Work with an additional outside partner to develop and implement the Coalition's digital organizing strategy
2. Manage a team of 2-3 undergraduate and graduate students
3. Serve as person with ultimate responsibility for implementation
4. Organize a weekly 30min meeting with the broader team to ensure all tasks are completed and students have what they need.
5. Specific skill and experience areas that are helpful: organic social media, email (use Action Network), CRM, online ads, broadcast/cold peer-to-peer texting tools (currently use Strive & Spoke)
Requirements: Applicants must have a background in communications and stellar writing skills. They must be able to work independently and meet deadlines. Applicants with basic design skills, such as making flyers and social media posts on Canva, preferred. Please indicate in your cover letter the number of hours per week and the time during which you would be available to work.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please indicate in your cover letter the number of hours per week and the time period during which you would be available to work remotely.