Posted On: February 14, 2022
Media Organization:Brownstoner (Owned by Schneps Media)
Founded in 2004, Brownstoner covers a rapidly changing Brooklyn through the lens of real estate, development and renovation. Our consumer audience is passionate about Brooklyn, neighborhoods, real estate, design and historic preservation. The Brownstoner website includes a blog, community forum and real estate listings. Our semiannual glossy print magazine, Brownstoner, focuses on interiors, people, food and design. Other channels include email newsletters, Instagram, podcasts and events.
Brownstoner is located in Downtown Brooklyn and owned by Schneps Media.
Brownstoner is growing. We are looking to hire a news and feature writer who shares our passions to help us cover Brooklyn inside and out. This person will cover controversies and issues related to housing, the physical environment and land use in Brooklyn, among other topics.
The ideal candidate will be eager to go beyond typical superficial news coverage, explore underreported angles, report on what is happening in a variety of communities in the borough, and include a variety of voices and perspectives. This is an opportunity to dig into stories that interest you the most and explore what sparks your curiosity.
You can easily knock out a couple of quick posts a week and make time for deeper, reported pieces and enterprise stories for the blog, as well as occasional news and features for our twice-yearly print magazine. You’ve already written at least a few longer-form features with multiple sources and are eager for the opportunity to write more.
Key topics include affordable housing, development, ULURP, zoning, 421-a and landmarking. In addition, Brownstoner is open to stories on a wide variety of subjects related to place and living in Brooklyn. For example, we have in the past written about school rezonings, transportation, street safety, store and restaurant openings and closings, new construction, design, art and interesting people who are making the borough a better place.
The position is full-time with benefits, including health insurance and 401K. We are inclusive and we value diversity.
• Live in Brooklyn.
• Mid career, with minimum three years experience reporting, one year editing.
• Can help bring a sense of spontaneity, surprise and depth to our lineup with a variety of stories. These could include, for example, unexpected brief items (perhaps based on a photo or tip), quick-turn posts that put urgent breaking news in perspective with historical context and facts, and more in-depth reported pieces on deserving topics (such as a controversial development or other battle).
• Familiar with Brooklyn, its neighborhoods, communities and neighborhood groups.
• Curious about what in Brooklyn is working and what is not and how to make Brooklyn a better place.
• Know AP style.
• Photoshop skills and flair for photography helpful, experience with podcasting and social media a plus.
• Write a daily news roundup (Daily Links), two quick stories and one more in-depth story a week for the blog, as well as occasional pieces for the twice-yearly glossy print magazine.
• Get out and explore the borough, take photos, talk to people, and occasionally attend and report on after-hours events (such as hearings on controversial developments, protests and community board meetings).
• Help out with editing a few times a year as needed.
To apply, please send a brief email explaining your qualifications with “Brownstoner News and Feature Writer” in the subject line, a resume and links to three published samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org