Posted On: February 14, 2022
Media Organization: Simons Foundation
Quanta Magazine is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by the Simons Foundation to enhance public understanding of science.
Quanta is seeking a seasoned editor to lead the magazine's award-winning math section covering number theory, combinatorics, dynamical systems, set theory, algebra, geometry, mathematical physics and everything in between. This incoming senior editor will identify, assign and edit newsworthy math stories and dream up and edit explainers and other features related to the world of mathematics. Management responsibilities include supervising the work of the senior math writer and that of freelance contributors. The senior editor will regularly collaborate with Quanta's art staff in the development of artwork, graphics, videos and other multimedia features.
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished math or science journalist, a superb writer and resourceful editor with impeccable news judgment, and a diehard advocate for the highest standards in journalism and scientific accuracy. Please note: This is not an entry-level position.
* Lead Quanta's journalistic coverage of mathematics research from initial story ideas and pitches through the editorial, design and production process.
* Manage, coach and mentor senior staff writer, math writing intern and freelance contributors.
* Collaborate with art team on artwork, photos, graphics, videos and multimedia.
* Attract and develop new freelance math writers.
* At least five years' combined experience covering science or math for established publications as an editor and/or reporter. Additional experience reporting on or editing other topics and content types is a plus.
* Must be passionate about mathematics and mathematics-related disciplines, with a demonstrated awareness of current developments in the field.
* Must be comfortable writing and editing news and feature articles under Web deadlines and be fluent in the best print editing standards and online conventions.
* Must be detail-oriented and organized, and demonstrate command of the highest standards of written English.
* Must be an excellent communicator and team player who thrives in a collaborative setting.
* Basic familiarity with WordPress is desirable, as is familiarity with Web metrics, social media and SEO.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
* 10 writing and editing work samples
* Cover letter
Quanta Magazine is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by theSimons Foundationto enhance public understanding of science. Our reporters and editors focus on developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences, with an emphasis on delivering timely, accurate, in-depth and well-crafted articles for our broad, discerning audience. Among other awards and accolades for its science journalism, Quanta was awarded a 2020 National Magazine Award for general excellence. Quanta has syndication partnerships with Wired, The Atlantic, Scientific American, The Washington Postand other publications, has published two books (Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire and The Prime Number Conspiracy) and our articles have been translated into several languages.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/E5ggL5Soo4ZDCqkRSzbEy