Posted On: April 28, 2022
Media Organization: Phenomenal World
Phenomenal World is a publication focused on political economy, social and economic history, finance, sociology, and related fields. We are part of the Jain Family Institute, a nonprofit applied research organization in the social sciences.
JFI is firmly committed to the principle of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO). We believe that the quality of our work and research is immensely strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, and more. We actively seek and welcome applicants who identify as BIPOC, women, members of the LGBTQIA community, persons with disabilities, and people at the intersections and peripheries of these identities, from across the spectrum of disciplines and methods. For more details about our staff and current projects, see https://www.jainfamilyinstitute.org.
Phenomenal World is growing our editorial team and is seeking applicants for a part-time Editorial Fellowship. The fellowship will last six months. Hours may vary but candidates should expect roughly 20 hours per week, including attendance at weekly editorial meetings in the morning ET. Our office is in New York City, but remote work is possible for this position and applicants are welcome to apply regardless of location.
The pay is $2500/month.
- Work with the editorial team to brainstorm topics and authors, and execute commissions
- Work with drafts through multiple stages of editing and production
- Copy edit and proofread longform and shortform articles
- On occasion, collaborate on the planning and hosting of digital or hybrid events with PW authors and kindred writers and researchers
- Three years or more experience in news, magazine, or book publishing
- Familiarity with Google Drive and Google Sheets
- Strong copyediting and proofreading skills
- Experience shepherding pieces from conception to publication
- A serious commitment to clarity and style in writing
- Comfortability with asynchronous work, deadlines, and regular meetings
- An interest in economics, politics, sociology, history, and the broad scope of political economy we cover on Phenomenal World
Above all, we are looking for a sharp and experienced editor who is enthusiastic about understanding the global political economy.
Deadline to apply: Friday, May 13, 2022
Please submit a resume and cover letter via the link: https://apply.workable.com/j/274A74776D/