Posted On: July 28, 2023
Media Organization:Archdiocese of New York
ORGANIZATION AND DEPARTMENT: Archdiocese of New York – The Good Newsroom
The Archdiocese of New York serves the pastoral and spiritual needs of 2.5 million Catholics in nearly 300 parishes throughout three boroughs of New York City and seven counties to the north. The Good NewsroomTM is Archdiocese’s digital news outlet, created to better communicate to the Archdiocese’s faithful, as well as the broader community, information about the good works of the Catholic Church within the region. The newsroom reaches and informs many thousands of people via its dedicated website, social media channels, App, and e-newsletter.
Learn more at thegoodnewsroom.org.
Reporting to the Associate Director of News, the Videographer/Content Producer (VCP) is critical to achieving The Good Newsroom’s goal of growing the reach and engagement of its digital newsroom via high-quality and high-volume video content. The VCP will partner with newsroom colleagues to create video stories to be published on numerous digital channels.
Having experience in video production, editing, and publishing, s/he will work as a reporter and travel throughout the Archdiocese of New York’s geographic area to report on events and initiatives.
S/he will possess excellent written and oral communication skills. Spanish-language capability is a plus.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Supporting the Associate Director of News and the Lead Content Producer, develop and produce video stories on a daily/weekly basis.
• Create story ideas that are unique and attract viewership through research, understanding of organizational goals, and collaboration with colleagues.
• Conduct interviews while simultaneously filming. Edit videos and coordinate publishing of final videos. Strategize with department colleagues on optimal distribution of videos across digital channels.
• Write a variety of short copy (website, email, social media, talking points, etc.), as needed.
• Collaborate with the marketing team on specific strategies to increase the number of viewers and their engagement. Help implement those strategies, as directed by leadership.
• A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or other related fields is required.
• Experience producing YouTube/Vimeo videos and using editing software (Final Cut Pro X, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, and Illustrator).
• Experience with digital-content development and distribution, websites, and content management systems are a plus.
• Seasoned at interviewing and communicating with diverse audiences. Experience with fact-checking news stories.
• Relevant work experience in a television, film, or broadcast news environment is desired.
• Knowledge of the Catholic Church and some familiarity with the Archdiocese of New York is required.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to travel throughout the geographic region of the Archdiocese of New York.
• Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable.
• A video test will be required.
Please e-mail your resume and a cover letter as attachments to:
Ms. Dale Corey, Director of Research
3D Leadership, LLC
The cover letter should not be more than one page and should include information on why you are interested in joining the Archdiocese of New York and The Good Newsroom, as well as what makes you uniquely qualified for the position. Please send 1-2 samples of videos you have produced.
The Archdiocese of New York is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply.