Posted On: November 27, 2023
Media Organization:Archdiocese of New York
The Archdiocese of New York serves the pastoral and spiritual needs of 2.5 million Catholics in nearly 300 parishes throughout its three boroughs of New York City and seven counties to the north. The Archdiocese includes 172 Catholic schools serving more than 53,000 students from Pre-K through 12th grade. Additionally, the Archdiocese helps more than 400,000 individuals each year through Catholic Charities, and it provides compassionate care to patients and families through ArchCare, the healthcare ministry.
Associate Director of News (ADN)
ORGANIZATION AND DEPARTMENT:
Archdiocese of New York – The Good Newsroom
The Good NewsroomTM is the digital news outlet of the Archdiocese of New York, providing daily updates and stories about the good works of the Catholic Church within our region. With the goal of enhancing a sense of community among Catholics and non-Catholics, The Good Newsroom was launched in late November 2022 to better communicate with the Archdiocese faithful as well as the broader community.
Learn more at thegoodnewsroom.org
Reporting to the Executive Editor, the Associate Director of News will be an experienced leader in The Good Newsroom Department and will oversee all news planning, manage the day-to-day newsroom activities, and report on successful news coverage and departmental progress.
S/he will collaborate with other members of the department and the organization to ensure that priorities and plans are aligned with other organizational initiatives. The ADN will be experienced in leading and managing people. S/he will be a proactive, innovative, digitally savvy reporter with well-developed understanding of the news business and proven project management skills.
The ADN will oversee a department of three professionals and will be the primary backup to the Executive Editor.
• A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or other related fields is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
• A MINIMUM OF 5 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN A NEWSROOM (print and/or broadcast.)
• Proven experience in managing a team in digital publishing
• Knowledge of the Catholic Church and some familiarity with the Archdiocese of New York is required.
• Verbal and written fluency in English and Spanish is required.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to travel throughout the geographic region of the Archdioceses of New York.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings.
• Significant experience writing, editing and/or video/audio production along with a portfolio demonstrating competency in these types of communication projects is required.
• Proficient in digital-content management and promotion of content through websites, social media, and email.
• Demonstrated creativity in conceiving new content and messaging and leveraging it across multiple platforms.
• Experience working with diverse groups of people and telling stories about and with underrepresented communities.
• A writing test will be required.
Please email your resume and a cover letter as attachments to:
Ms. Dale Corey, Director of Research
3D Leadership, LLC
The cover letter should not be more than one page and should include information on why you are interested in joining the Archdiocese of New York and The Good Newsroom, as well as what makes you uniquely qualified for the position.