Posted On: January 31, 2012
Media Organization: Citizens Union Foundation
The Organization: Citizens Union Foundation (CUF) is the non profit research, education and advocacy organization affiliated with Citizens Union, a non partisan force for good government for more than 100 years. CUF conducts research and analyzes the impact of proposed public policy and legislation at the city and state level. In its effort to inform the citizens of New York, it publishes the weekday online website, www.gothamgazette.com, an award-winning, non-profit Web site about New York City issues, policy and politics. It features original news reporting and analysis, a daily digest of news about New York City, commentaries by experts in their fields and links to other articles and sites.
Chief Editor for GothamGazette.com, an online media-based public policy journal that is published by Citizens Union Foundation (CUF), a citywide good government nonprofit organization. The site reports on and writes original articles about New York City and New York State government issues. The publication is internationally recognized for its originality and in-depth reporting. The new Executive Editor will be expected to provide strategic leadership and expertise in maximizing the presence and defined niche of an online media publication.
Founded in 1999, GothamGazette.com set the standard for innovative and incisive online local news reporting being the first publication to aggregate each morning online stories from other news media. Still committed to covering city and state government in an unbiased and balanced way, GothamGazette.com in the future will strengthen its focus of examining government policies and actions and report more deeply on key issues, taking an enterprise-story approach. Consistent with Citizens Union’s watchdog function and nonpartisan style, GothamGazette.com will illuminate areas of government and public policy otherwise ignored or underreported by the mainstream press and provide strongly well-researched, balanced, long-form articles. It will keep its readers up to date with daily coverage of important government matters and policy debates through its WordPress powered blog – The Wonkster. The Executive Editor reports to the publisher who also serves as CUF’s executive director.
The Executive Editor will:
• Provide new strategic leadership and expertise in maximizing the presence and defined niche of an online media publication taking advantage of new social media platforms to publish and promote.
• Work collaboratively with the State Government Editor in publishing stories and articles.
• Work collaboratively with GG’s Technical Manager to manage the site and management of its many databases and platforms.
• Cover City Hall and report on regular Stated Meetings of the City Council at which legislation is passed.
• Supervise the work and writings of ten freelance journalists who cover specific topic areas.
• Write and publish our weekly Searchlight on City Hall newsletter; oversee publication of other topic-specific newsletters.
• Come up with story ideas and write and assign policy feature articles based on issues at City Hall and the State Capitol; Edit articles from journalists and commentaries by public official.
• Put together our daily Eye Opener newsletter at least one day a week.
• Ensure our City Laws database is maintained; write blog posts; and supervise interns.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
• Five years professional journalism experience, preferably with some editing experience.
• Strong writing skills, particularly an ability to make sometimes complicated material clear and interesting.
• Commitment to accuracy and a balanced, nonpartisan approach in reporting.
• Interest in the public policy, advocacy and the civic life of New York.
• A sense of humor and ability to work with others in a pressured environment.
• Experience in web-based journalism and use of effective use of social media platforms, along with rudimentary knowledge of HTML.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks at once on tight deadlines.
Salary is competitive for a nonprofit organization whose budget is $1 million. Benefits include fully paid health including flexible spending plan, two weeks paid vacation to start, retirement savings program, and life and long-term disability insurance.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, two or three pieces of published journalism, and salary requirements to either email@example.com, or Attn. Staff Executive Editor Search, Citizens Union Foundation, 299 Broadway, Ste. 700, New York, NY 10007.
Application Deadline: February 24, 2012.