Posted On: August 5, 2013
Media Organization: Reboot
Reboot is a social enterprise working to improve governance and development worldwide. We design and implement systems that help the world’s leading organizations become more responsive to the communities they serve. We like to think of this as working toward a 21st century social contract. From public financial management in Nigeria and media development in Pakistan, to civic engagement in the United States and beyond, our work allows citizens to make their voices heard and live better lives.
Reboot is a social enterprise working to improve governance and international development. Around the world, we are pioneering new models of engagement between citizens and public institutions. We help governments, international donors, NGOs, and others to become more responsive to the communities they serve.
We are seeking a world class wordsmith to help tell our stories and bring our theory of change to a global audience. The Writer & Editor will focus on ensuring all Reboot’s written outputs are clear, consistent, and captivating.
Our ideal candidate is a first-rate storyteller with superb writing and editing skills. You are passionate about reporting on foreign places and highly complex issues in a manner that is accessible and engaging to all audiences. You are a tremendously capable scribe who can shift between a 500 word blog post, 2,000 word magazine feature, 4,500 word academic essay and 50 page client report—and do so with ease and flair. Your attention to detail is second to none: you never mix your P’s and Q’s; you dot all your i’s and cross all your t’s; you surely know the difference between “-”, “–”, and “—”; and you have a strong (possible very strong) opinion on Oxford commas. You don’t miss deadlines.
This role is based in New York. The Writer & Editor will work closely with and report to the Director of Communications.
- Write engaging, meaningful, and timely weekly stories for Reboot’s site, including original reporting, op-eds, photo essays, profiles, case studies, and other thought leadership.
- Write equally engaging, meaningful, and (especially) timely content for publication/broadcast in a variety of media outlets, including blogs, news media, academic journals, and think tanks, among others.
- Work closely with the Director of Communications and Creative Team to produce a first-rate quarterly publication highlighting powerful human stories, key project insights, new methodologies, and more.
- Contribute to snappy social media updates daily.
- Help craft inspiring, informative, and original speeches and talking points for all Reboot public speaking engagements, both large and small.
- Draft compelling pitches, including press releases, award nominations, fellowship applications, article submissions, and public speaking applications.
- Support content development across all client and internal projects, as well as business development, as needed.
- Serve as in-house content and copy editor for Reboot’s written outputs, including blog posts, published articles, project reports, case studies, presentations, web copy, promotional materials, proposals, and more.
- Embed with project and internal teams to shape the direction, narrative and tone of client reports and other publications.
- Provide editorial feedback and guidance to project teams on client deliverables, serving as managing editor for large products with multiple writers.
- Liaise with design team on layout, infographics and other visual presentation elements in client deliverables.
- Work with the Director of Communications and Research Manager to develop a Reboot style guide, aimed at maintaining consistent voice, format, and style across all Reboot written outputs.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS:
- Top-notch writing skills, preferably with an academic background in English, Journalism, or Creative Writing.
- Demonstrated work experience developing perfect copy on-deadline for a range of outputs, including corporate communications, blogging, journalism, speech writing, and research publications.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate in clear, concise, non-jargon language.
- Working knowledge of Reboot’s core areas of work (governance and international development).
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills and political sensitivity.
Sense of humor and wit, in both your writing and in yourself.
- Comfortable with controlled chaos. Changing deadlines and last-minute requests are all part of the game.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, five writing samples, and three professional references through our online application system below here:
Only completed applications will be considered.
We are happy to take questions about our organization or the position available. Inquiries can be sent to careers AT theReboot DOT org. Due to the volume of emails we receive, we cannot guarantee that all inquires regarding this role will be responded to. Thank you for your understanding.