Posted On: May 27, 2014
Media Organization: Dēmos
Founded in 2000 and headquartered in New York City with offices in Washington, DC and Boston, Demos is a public policy organization working for an America where all have an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy. We move ideas powerful enough to improve the lives of everyday Americans through the full cycle of change. We champion over-the-horizon policy solutions, shift the narrative to clear the way for their acceptance, and advocate until they take effect. We use the right strategy for the right moment, whether it’s research or communications, supporting organizers or litigating. This commitment to the full cycle of change has resulted in real victories, such as landmark credit card reforms and nearly 2 million new voter registration applications from low-income citizens. Throughout all of our work, Demos is advocating not just for people but for the very idea of the people—of one nation, united by a shared fate.
Demos seeks an energetic communications professional to help manage a rapidly growing portfolio of projects. The Media Relations Manager serves a critical role in enhancing the visibility and impact of a wide range of policy and issue advocacy work. The Media Relations Manager reports directly to the Director of Communications, supervises Communications Associate and Assistant, and works closely with Development, Advocacy, Research and Legal teams. Must be able to represent the organization well publicly with a variety of target audiences, as well as develop and maintain department systems and infrastructure.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Assist the Director in the development and implementation of strategic communications plans as well as messaging for Demos’ programs, releases, events and other projects.
• Develop and maintain relationships with key media contacts covering Demos issue areas, as well as broadcast and cable television producers.
• Monitor news cycle as well as editorial calendars to identify opportunities for promoting Demos experts, research, and materials across all media.
• Provide media relations and outreach support for Demos’ programs, releases, and events.
• Lead the drafting, editing, and dissemination of press releases, statements and other media-focused materials including op-eds and editorial board memos.
• Oversee structure and maintenance of media database.
• Oversee comprehensive research on media landscape of Demos issue areas as well as departmental reporting on media coverage and impact.
• Assist Director in the development and implementation of departmental work plans and budget.
• Supervise and conduct annual evaluations for Communications Associate and Assistant.
• Manage production calendar.
• Work with the Director to integrate advocacy-focused media and social media outreach with overall communications strategy.
• Serve as communications liaison to work team coordinators and department heads.
Salary and Benefits:
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 20 vacation days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and résumé by clicking through the following link: http://demos.hiringthing.com We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.