Posted On: October 20, 2015
Paid Journalism Internship
Media Organization: Americas Society and Council of the Americas
The mission of www.as-coa.org is to serve as a forum for information related to the Americas, as well as to share news about AS/COA programs, publications, and events with members and the general public.
Americas Society/Council of the Americas (AS/COA) seeks a current undergraduate or graduate student, recent graduate, or freelancer for an editorial internship working with the content of its website, www.as-coa.org, as well as providing support with social media and multimedia content. This internship requires strong writing and copyediting skills, and interest in or experience with online media. Intern assignments include, but are not limited to: researching, writing, editing, and copyediting; photo research and editing; authoring social media; uploading content; and assisting with website updates and administrative tasks.
This position can be pursued as a paid internship. The internship will ideally begin in the fall of 2015 and requires a commitment of 20 hours a week.
Key areas of focus will be:
• Assisting with updating, writing, editing, and posting content for the site. This includes writing blog posts and explainers, contributing to infographics, and supporting production of other content on news affecting the Americas.
• Supporting social media efforts
• Copyediting and factchecking content across the website
• Posting videos or podcasts of events and other multimedia content
• Helping with necessary administrative tasks
• Working in conjunction with the web team to build on and implement digital strategy to promote the programs and publications of AS/COA
The candidate should be able to balance multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment under deadline pressure. Skills and qualifications include:
• Excellent English-language writing skills with a working knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese; knowledge of Latin America highly preferred
• Experience in the field of new media, journalism, multimedia, or publishing; Copyediting and factchecking skills a huge plus
• Proficiency and experience working with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) and their use as marketing tools
• Ability to work with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
• Experience with updating web content using a content management system preferred
Please email cover letter, resume, and at least one brief English-language writing sample to Holly Sonneland at firstname.lastname@example.org. Published clips—whether via links, PDFs, or some type of online portfolio—are welcome. No phone calls please.