Posted On: November 25, 2015
Media Organization: News Deeply
News Deeply makes in-depth media resources about issues of global importance. The company’s inaugural platform, Syria Deeply, is a fusion of journalism and technology created to enhance coverage of the Syrian crisis. In recognition of the project’s innovative approach, Time Magazine called Syria Deeply “The Future of News,” while Fast Company Magazine said “Syria Deeply Outsmarts the News, Redefines Conflict Coverage.”
News Deeply won the National Press Foundation's Excellence in Online Journalism Award in 2013, joining honorees like the Wall Street Journal, the Center for Public Integrity, NPR, and Re/code. The founder was later invited to the White House to brief President Obama.
The most recent work from News Deeply is Water Deeply, which covers California's record-breaking drought crisis. Upcoming platforms will include Arctic Deeply, Refugees Deeply, and many more.
News Deeply’s clients and partners include the World Economic Forum, the Rockefeller Foundation, the Baker Institute at Rice University, and Columbia University's Tow Center for Digital Journalism. The company's work has been featured on outlets including CNN, NPR, BBC News, the Guardian, and Wired.
News Deeply, an award-winning journalism startup that has been called “The Future of News” by Time Magazine, is seeking a Digital Community Manager based in its New York or San Francisco office. This person will be highly involved in our digital social media management, and will help us experiment with new platforms and audience development initiatives. The community manager will provide feedback to multiple departments and will help us advance as a cutting-edge journalism company by applying the latest in audience engagement and community management practices.
Candidates can come from a wide array of backgrounds – but experience in journalism, social media, copywriting, public relations, community outreach, user research and/or data analysis will be considered as a plus.
· Find the audiences for newly created News Deeply sites.
· Reach out to new audiences wherever they are located.
· Work with the editorial and product teams to figure out new ways of engaging News Deeply readers.
· Update News Deeply social platforms with a mix of our own reporting and partner content.
· Understand and apply the latest content marketing and social media promotion best practices.
· Exercise creativity, problem-solving and grit. We might need you to pick up the slack or step up to unexpected responsibilities – we’re a startup!
· Some travel will be involved, and you must be able to work effectively as a remote team member. We have team members in New York, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Beirut, India and Armenia.
· Excellent English language skills and familiarity with Western media
· Extensive experience with Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms
· Familiarity with expert/specialist social networks that serve niche communities (examples: Reddit, Quora, Tumblr)
· A high degree of comfort using third-party social media toolkits (examples: Buffer, Hootsuite, TweetDeck)
· Curiosity and active engagement with digital media platforms, projects and experiments
· Friendly, inquisitive and observant
· BA or equivalent experience in journalism, publishing, media studies, English or related field.
Interested parties write to email@example.com with a resume and cover letter, specifically addressing one or both of the following questions:
· Tell us about a time that you organized an event or coordinated a community using social media or digital networks.
· Tell us about a time that you solved a difficult problem using social media or digital networks.