Nexus Media is a climate change news service that produces articles, videos, photo essays and infographics in partnership with outlets such as Quartz, Teen Vogue, Fast Company, Popular Science, CityLab and PBS, among others.
About the Role
We are seeking a part-time intern to join our team starting in summer 2020. The Nexus Media Journalism Intern will research and report stories on climate change, energy and the constellation of related issues—economic instability, racial inequality, threats to public health and national security, to name a few.
This Nexus Media Journalism Intern will gain a deep knowledge of the climate crisis—science, policy, politics and advocacy. They will learn how to produce high-quality articles and videos under the guidance of experienced climate reporters.
• Develop ideas for fresh, original, provocative stories about climate change.
• Investigate climate stories, identifying sources, gathering scientific research, and breaking it down into easy-to-understand language.
• Write articles for Nexus Media that will be considered for publication by our partner outlets, including Quartz, Teen Vogue, Fast Company, Popular Science, CityLab and PBS.
• Help produce videos for Nexus Media and our partner outlets.
• Draft tweets and Facebook posts for Nexus Media’s social channels.
• Assist with other tasks related to Nexus Media’s journalistic mission. This may include attending panel discussions, going to networking events, interviewing experts, and other work to dig up great stories about climate change.
Demonstrated interest in climate change or related issues
Education or experience in journalism or communications
Strong writing ability
An affection for deadlines
A nose for news or strong interest in learning how to develop stories about climate change
Experience in video production is preferred, but not essential
At least a sophomore in college. College graduates are encouraged to apply.
Time & Compensation
Part-time internship of 15 to 20 hours per week. Compensation of $15 per hour (with college credit, if needed). The ability to work two full-time days in our office per week is preferred, but we are open to other configurations based on student schedules.
The internship is for 10 weeks with the possibility to extend.
The ideal start date is mid-June 2020.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot reply to all submissions. We will contact applicants directly with requests for interviews.
Location: New York, NY
Nexus Media is a part of Climate Nexus, a nonprofit dedicated to improving public understanding of climate change. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage persons of diverse age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status to apply.